Travancore was built by John Key & Sons at Kinghorn, Scotland, and launched on 29 August 1867 as the Sultana. Purchased by P&O a few months later and completed as Travancore. Iron construction with a single screw powered by direct-acting horizontal steam engines. Capacity for 85 first-class and 34 second-class passengers.
Wrecked in thick fog at Castro Bay south of Otranto on a voyage from Bombay to Venice. All 57 passengers and crew were rescued together with the mails and some of the cargo.
|Dimensions||85.8 x 10.8 m (281.6 x 35.5 ft)|
The wreck of the Travancore lies 15m deep and is just a short swim from the shore. Little of the superstructure itself remains, most of which is fused into a rocky reef and covered in a light growth of flora. Divers have reported finding glass, pottery, household utensils and minor non-ferrous fixtures amongst the iron wreckage.