The Rangoon was built for P&O in 1863 by Samuda Brothers, London – the same yard that had completed the Carnatic just a few months earlier. Iron construction, with a single screw powered by a tandem compound inverted direct-acting steam engine. Employed on the Suez/Calcutta service
While outside Point de Galle waiting to disembark the pilot a current swept the ship onto Kadir Rock and she was holed several times amidships. Six hours later she slipped off the rocks and sank stern first. No casualties.
|Dimensions||89.9 x 11.6 m (294.9 x 38.1 ft)|
The Rangoon lies on a seabed of white sand and is home to species such as rabbitfish, bluefin trevally, red soldierfish, bullseyes, lionfish and puffer fish. The bow stands upright, several metres proud of the seabed. Part of the midships section has collapsed allowing the sand to encroach on the wreck but it is still possible to determine the outline of the hull. A distinctive feature are the remains of two of the masts which point up towards the surface. Towards the stern the wreck starts to rise out of the sand with the highest point being the tip of the sternpost.